Monday 1 December 2014

Blog post #2 Do as you would be done by

Do as you would be done by

I am probably showing my age with that phrase but it is one that has always stuck with me throughout life. It is not just something for business but for the whole of life in general. I come from a family of 6. My siblings and I were taught to respect others and treat them kindly. We did of course, have our sibling differences but mum and dad steered us in the right direction. . Sadly not everyone has had the same teaching and I think it is so sad! Unfortunately my father is no longer with us but he led a happy and very fulfilling life.Let me introduce you to my mum and my siblings - Left to right David, me Mum Soo Graham!




I was subject to a certain amount of bullying at school. I can remember one or two sad times but nothing major. However, I cannot understand why grown adults attempt to bully others! People have tried and tried to bully me in my adult life but I won't tolerate it. I spent 30 years stopping children being unkind to each other as a teacher , why then should I accept it myself. I believe if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all!
Last year, I had an incident with a neighbour who took issue with my parking. There was no real problem but he perceived there was and hammered very aggressively on my door the next morning and told me to move the car. Now I, as you know, I was taught to treat others as I wished to be treated and shouting and banging the door aggressively wasn't an option! I have to say bullying me didn't bring the result he wanted. He did manage to get his car out which he would have done much quicker if he had not been trying to intimidate me.
I wrote him a note - merely suggesting that if he wanted something, surely it was better to be nice to people - much more likely to get the required reaction.. Wowie - result - he took heed and has been much more pleasant - even smiling at me in the supermarket. It isn't rocket science - if you are nice to others - they might well be nice to you.

In business it is the same in life. Much greater result will be achieved by being nice. Why sabotage your own business by being unkind? 

For anyone having trouble smiling  why not join us over at the Giggly Grannies We have lots of fun and laughter. we put the FUND into fundraising.

How do you deal with people who treat you unkindly? 




No comments:

Post a Comment